Friday, October 19, 2007

Whee!! Something new to play with!


So...I've mentioned that I like to cook. I love trying out new recipes and playing with them, tweaking them. I've just learned that Overwhelmed with Joy has a regular feature called Favorite Ingredients Friday - a weekly place to share all those yummy goodies!

This week's focus is on soup. Now in many places, soup is a hallmark of fall. It brings to mind sitting wrapped up in a blanket in front of a fireplace. But here in Miami? Uh, we don't really get fall. We get "Hot" and "Not as Hot." Those are our seasons. But still I love soup regardless of the temperature. Here's one of my favorite recipes. It's a vegetable stew with tons of flavor. It's very good for you, as an added bonus. I like to serve it with buttered toast.

Vegetable Stew

4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
2-3 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk chopped celery
3 stalks of broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
1 cup of lima beans
1/4 t. celery seed
1/4 t. dried sage
1/4 t. dried marjoram
1/2 t. sea salt (you could use regular salt too)
1 vegetable bouillon cube (chicken would be an ok substitute)
water to cover
Steam your potatoes and carrots for about 10 minutes. Melt butter in a large pot. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, broccoli and spices. Saute a minutes or two, stirring veggies around constantly. Add enough water to cover. Add bouillon. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add lima beans (trust me - they are delicious in this soup!) and return to a boil. Reduce heat ans simmer, covered for 10 more minutes.


Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Renee said...

Welcome to FIF! Your soup recipe sounds really tasty! We'll be trying it out soon. I homeschool our two boys and nothing is better in fall than to come inside from playing and eat a hearty soup for lunch! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This stew sounds like a delicious blend of ingredients. We love soup!

Overwhelmed! said...

Lori, I'm so glad you decided to join us for my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Soup edition recipe exchange.

Your vegetable stew recipe sounds wonderful! My SIL is a vegetarian and I think she'd love this so I'm going to share your recipe with her too. :)

Thanks for your participation and I hope to see you for my next FIF recipe exchange. This upcoming one is a free-style one, so feel free to post any type of recipe you'd like!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail