Sunday, February 13, 2011

Being Focused on the Truly Valuable

We live in a world where we are constantly being bombarded by media and messages that are often not consistent with how a woman of God should live. The radio, the television, movies, even the grocery store check-out lane shouts at us to be thinner! sexier! prettier! a perfect mom! a perfect wife! a perfect woman!

And the truth is, we often fall for it. I know I do, at least. I want to be that perfect woman that I see on the screen or the cover of a magazine. And maybe, just maybe, if I buy into whatever tip or trick is being offered, I will be completely satisfied with my life.

That's yet to happen.

And don't you find yourself in the trap of comparing yourself, your husband, your children, your home to others around you? Isn't it easy to wish you had a bigger, nicer home? A husband who is ultra-romantic and helpful around the house? Children who are accomplished and well-behaved at all times? A tinier waistline and bigger budget?

It's just all too easy to focus on the wrong things, isn't it?

A while ago, I found on a wonderful blog, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, the perfect antidote to this trap. It's a simple prescription to help us keep our eyes in the right place and, in so doing, to help us keep our hearts content with all that God has blessed us with. Here it is:

1. Ignore all the books, mags and ads that convince me I need to buy them in order to find out their secrets.

2. Focus my life, my mind and my heart on Christ.

3. Drown out all the voices that dictate what you and the children are "supposed to be doing"- (everyone seems to have a plan for our lives, don't they?), take your eyes off what your friends/neighbors are doing by not comparing and then reexamine false standards or high expectations you have made for yourself and your loved ones.

4. Pray and ask God to give me focus, ability and wisdom to prioritize my husband, children and home. Ask hubby for advice that He has to offer.

5. Expect for Him to answer in a powerful way and then....

6. Obey and listen to Him!

Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail