Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thankful Thursday



There is so much to be thankful for each and every day that it seems to somehow be silly to write a weekly post on what I'm thankful for. As though all the other days of the week I'm not thankful to God for all His blessings. But I have found that forcing myself to go through this discipline, taking the time to sit and conciously think through all that I am grateful for, is a blessing in and of itself.

It makes me stop my grumbling and rejoice. It causes me to stop looking at myself and stand in wonder at the God who cares for me. It improves my mood and my general outlook.

If you read my post from last night, you'll see that I am struggling a bit with God moving me to a new land, far away from friends and family. I know that it's His will, but I don't understand it and, right now, I'm not happy about it. But I right now choose to be thankful.

Thankful that my son has found a friend. Like 11 year old boys do, they bonded instantly and now are making grand plans and having a super time together. Daniel hasn't really found that since we've been here, so this is a great relief to me. And the nice thing is that the little boy only lives 5 minutes away.

Thankful that we left Miami when we did. Hubby learned yesterday that his previous employer has laid off approximately 20 people (a quarter of their staff) since his leaving. In addition, they have cut salaries and have reduced working hours from 40 a week to 32. There is no way that we could have survived that financially. We are so grateful that God moved us at just the right time.

Thankful that my mom's cousin, Tom, is recovering well and has now been allowed to return home. I appreciate each and every one of you who prayed for him when the situation was very grim. He has a long recovery ahead of him, but it's a miracle that he is up and walking and talking.

Thankful that technology has allowed us to stay in contact with loved ones back in the States. During the past three months, there have been a lot of times when I wished I could be there, but at least I can call and email and hear the voices of those who are important to me.

Thankful for the freedoms that we enjoy. As America prepares to celebrate her independence, I am so grateful for all the freedoms that we enjoy there. While we are fairly free to do as we like here in Qatar, there is definitely a sense that you have to watch what you do and say.

Thankful for my relationship with Christ. It is what sustains me. The love and comfort He provides me with, the joy I feel in Him, and the knowledge that I am loved more than I could ever understand are all immeasurable and this, my friend, is the thing I am most thankful for.

To find out what other women are thankful for, visit Iris for more Thankful Thursday posts.

4 comments:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I love the thought of taking a day of the week to truly be thankful. You have so much to be thankful for. Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Blessings,
Kim

Laurie Ann said...

God bless your heart full of gratitude, every day and for the list for today. Have a happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Wow there's just so much to comment on here so I'll just say I loved your post. Thank you for sharing and God bless you!

Nancy M. said...

Sometimes listing what your thankful for, helps put things in perspective. It's great that your son found a friend!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail