Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Worst Part

Having moved overseas, relocating our family to the Middle East, there have been lots of challenges. There are culture shock issues, language issues, etc. But none of that really matters to me right now.

But the worst part, by far, is not being able to be there for your friends when they need you. And I'm sick of it. I want to be able to hold people and pray with them and cry with them. There has been too much sadness that I haven't been able to offer comfort for.

In just the three short months since we moved, there has been crisis upon crisis in my social circle. You may remember that about a month ago, a dear friend of mine lost her husband in that plane crash in Honduras. Another friend of mine is facing some pretty serious medical issues. Another friend's daughter is having spinal surgery today to correct scoliosis. Another is still grieving the loss of her husband 20 months ago. Another friend lost her husband to heart disease last month.

Just now I've learned that a woman who was part of our small group lost her 19 year old son in a car crash last night. This is a woman who my husband and I counseled and ministered to during the breakup of her marriage last year. I feel a responsiblity to her. And here I am, a half a world away.

And it breaks my heart.

I know, without a doubt, that God put us here in Doha. But it is heartwrenching to know that your friends are suffering and you cannot be there with them to hold their hand and just sit in silence with them.

And so, to Marilyn, Mylinda, Kathy L., Jan, Barbara, and right now especially to you, Kathy C., I love you. And I miss you. And I'm praying for you. I'm praying that the God of all creation will be there to comfort you. And He's a far greater comforter than me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. These ladies are blessed to know you, and have you as a friend and prayer warrior.

I'm praying for your friends, and for you. May you all find peace and comfort.

Mylinda said...

Thank you, my friend. And, I am praying for you, too. :-) Love ya!

Stacey said...

I know this is so hard! I also know, or would at least place a high bet, that each of them knows and feels your presence in spirit.

Not the same as being there, but they need what you can offer just the same.

So sad for all the difficulties all your friends are going through. Will be mindful of them and you!

Nancy M. said...

I am sure your friends know you are praying for them and are with them in spirit. I can't even begin to understand how hard it must be to be so far away from those you love.

I will pray for you also.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail