Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Kids and Christmas Trees



This is the first time in several months I'm participating in WFMW. The main reason I haven't been joining is that God had really been speaking to me about finding my worth in my blog stats. That's just wrong. My worth (as well as that of all children of God) is in what Christ has done for me. It had gotten to the point where joining in on some of these big weekly carnivals was becoming a chore that I had to find an idea for, even when I was completely tapped out, just so I could keep up my numbers.

This week, I do have something that I really wanted to share that I think is timely and helpful. I'm happy to join back in under those circumstances, not just to bump up my stats.

I know that this is the time of year when many of us are putting up Christmas trees. Our family has always done this over the Thanksgiving weekend, and I think that's pretty average. Especially with Thanksgiving falling so late this year, I know many of you will be doing it soon as well.

One challenge for me earlier in my mommy career was keeping my little ones away from the tree. The fear of them toppling it over on themselves, or eating an ornament or breaking a family treasure drove me to be creative with how to keep them away from it.

The thing that worked best for me was taking large boxes (like computer monitor size, the wider the better), putting in some phone books or other heavy items to weigh them down and then wrapping them.

Voila!

I put them all around the tree (which I had in a corner so it was a little more manageable) and the provided a handy little wall of protection. The wrapped presents made the home more festive and kept little hands from grabbing for the tree.

That works for me!!

6 comments:

Katie said...

I love that idea... Especially since I have a couple of little ones with very grabby hands. I remember my mom telling me of the time when the tree fell over one year just as the guests were walking up the driveway! Everything shattered and they had all of 2 minutes to fix it!

Ohilda said...

What a great idea!!! The only problem I'd see is the little ones thinking that those "big" presents were for them...heh!


Blessings,

Ohilda

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted the comment about being early. I was in bed all day with the stomach bug and thought I was so sick I had missed a day...phew! I don't have little ones anymore, but I will pass your idea on to friends. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Genious idea! I have actually finished my shopping, so I'm going to create a wall of protection with those. I also put a few touchable ornaments on a tiny tree for the little fingers to play with instead.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the numbers thing...I am really struggling with that myself. Quite honestly, its depressing to see only a few readers a day and makes me want to quit all together some days. *sigh* I struggle with blog carnivals too, i always have trouble figuring out what to write.

Good idea with the tree!

Heather said...

Good idea. I might just try this myself this weekend...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail