Saturday, December 13, 2008

For Lack of Something Better to Say...

The Christmas Meme!



I've seen this on too many people's blogs to mention lately, so here's my version.



Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Wrapping paper. Honestly I'd much rather do those beautiful gift bags, but can't bring myself to pay the price of $2 plus just to wrap a present. If it's something special, ok, but to do that number of presents times that number of gift bags - well, my wallet doesn't open that far!


Real tree or Artificial?

Sadly, artificial. The first few years of marriage, I convinced Hubby to go the natural route, only to spend months afterwards picking pine needles out of the carpet. Eventually we broke down and got an artificial one. I miss the smell terribly, but not the work of a real tree.


When do you put up the tree?

Thanksgiving Day, preferably, but if not then definitely by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend.


When do you take the tree down?

Sometime between the day after Christmas and New Year's Day, depending on how sick I am of the decorations by then.


Do you like eggnog?

Ick!


Favorite gift received as a child?

The gift I most remember getting was a new bike. Flying through the neighborhood that day with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face was glorious!


Hardest person to buy for?

My husband!!!!! Usually he buys himself what he really wants throughout the year and he is generally very careful with money, so he doesn't always appreciate the thought that goes into a gift. He's too busy thinking about how much it cost!


Easiest person to buy for?

My kids, because by this time I've gotten numerous, and continuously revised, Christmas lists. Except for the fact that every year Daniel puts on his list, "a baby brother." Emily used to put another sibling on her list as well until she started babysitting and realized that babies are hard work. Now she's got a puppy on her list. Fat chance, baby.


Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes, we do. Actually, I've got a larger one downstairs, with the whole creche and everything, and a smaller, wooden carved one upstairs. My friend back in Miami, Kathy (who sadly is blogless) collects them which I think is way cool and I would like to do that as well. Except I don't think I'll be finding too many nativity sets over here. Sigh...


Mail or email Christmas cards?

Nope. I'm a total loser when it comes to Christmas cards. Shame on me!


Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

A purse my mother once gave me that had an embroidered scene by Thomas Kinkade on it. I was a young, hip girl and this was a purse made for a 50 something year old woman. Hmm, how coincidental??!! Somehow it made it's way into her vast collection of purses.


Favorite Christmas Movie?

It's a Wonderful Life. First off, I love Jimmy Stewart. And this movie carries such a strong message of how we are all important and how God weaves the lives of all of us together. That scene at the end when everyone is coming to donate money to keep George out of jail? I cry every. single. time.


When do you start shopping for Christmas?


Usually sometime in November, but often not until December. I'm still working on it now as a matter of fact.


Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

I don't think so, but it's quite possible.


Favorite thing about Christmas?

Christmas carols. Many of them are old and contain such amazing theology - those are my favorite ones. (See below)


Lights on the tree?

Seriously, do people put up trees without lights? I never knew this was an option. But one of my favorite Christmas activities is sitting in a darkened room with a cup of hot chocolate gazing at the lights of the Christmas tree.


Favorite Christmas song?

O Holy Night. Far and away, it's the most powerful song that gets to me. Especially this verse,
"Long lay the world in sin and error pining, till He appeared and the soul felt it's worth."
I start to tear up every time I sing it. Just thinking about how miserable I was without Christ and how much He has completed me and made me into a new person.


Travel at Christmas or stay home?

Stay at home. I really don't like to travel for Christmas. I mean, it's good to be with family and all, but I prefer them to come to me, you know? I just feel more at ease and relaxed in my own home.


Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer’s?

Yes, but only if I sing the song.


Angel on the tree top or a star?

For a long time when we were first married we had an angel. But she blinked. And that was just wrong, IMHO. I mean, shouldn't an angel be a steady beacon of God's love? So then we switched to a star which lit up. It was beautiful - country'ish, bronze, I loved it. Sadly it gave up the ghost last year and fell apart. Now I've got this gaudy gold star up there that I don't really like, but my options are limited, so I guess I'll have to live with it.

Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?

Christmas morning. Sometimes we'll let the kids open up one present on Christmas eve, but it is usually a board game that we can all play together before they go to bed. Growing up, every year, my brother and sister and I would get to open one present each. It was always pajamas. Way to build the excitement, Mom!!


Most annoying thing about this time of the year?

Mall parking lots. Normally the bane of my existence, at Christmas time I have nightmares about them.


Favorite ornament theme or color?

We've got a country thing going on with our tree. Homespun-type ornaments, direct from China via Target, abound. Snowmen, cabins, things made out of twigs. That kind of thing.


Favorite Thing for Christmas dinner?

Well, I like it all so I'll give you a regular Christmas menu at this house: turkey (Hubby doesn't eat ham, so that's never on the menu), Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing (not this year, however!! sob!!), mashed potatoes, corn, devilled eggs, broccoli salad, tossed salad, rolls and various desserts.

What do you want for Christmas this year?

Well this year I went a little hog-wild in my spending while in the States. So I really can't ask for anything. If I had to think of one thing I would really like, it would be a porch swing for the front porch.


Snow Christmas morning?

Bwahahahahahaha!!! Let's look at the places I have lived in my life: Tucson, Arizona; Southern California; Miami, Florida; and now Doha, Qatar. Ok, ok, I did live in Pennsylvania, but I left there when I was so young I don't remember it really. So, no, snow is not an integral part of my Christmas experience.

Hope you are enjoying your Christmas season!!

2 comments:

Nancy M. said...

It's funny about your son wanting a little brother, let my son talk to him, and he'll change his mind, lol!

Mimi said...

I love the meaningful words in old Christmas carols, too. It's a shame that some of them are only sun at Chrsitmastime.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail