Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Quick Update on the Work Situation

I just want to thank you all for your prayers.  It seems as though I will not be attending a meeting this afternoon after all.  The person with whom I (and the office manager) are having a problem with asked to meet with me privately today so she could tell me "what her job is and what my job is."  

Isn't that thoughtful of her?

I said why don't we wait and sort it out during the meeting and she said that she thought the meeting (called by her boss!) was pointless and she didn't think she needed to go, the rest of us could work out whatever our troubles were.  Uh-huh.  Regardless, I agreed to meet with her during break to hear what she had to say.

Before we met though, I spoke with one of our bosses and told him she wanted to meet with me.  He said that he didn't think that myself or the other woman even needed to be present, that he needed to deal with her one on one.  I told him I was willing to meet, but he said that her behavior has been outrageous and that wouldn't be necessary.

When I did meet with her, she proceeded to tell me her job description, as defined by her and what she wants to do, and kept talking about how she isn't putting her work on anyone and how I need to not try to do her job.  She was getting more and more excited and I just remained calm and kind (thanks to YOUR prayers, I know!).  I told her that I wasn't here to be her assistant, which is how she has treated me, and that my only problem with her was our disagreement on whether or not I should be able to answer students and teachers who come into the office with questions.  I realize that's her job, but if I'm also sitting at the front desk, I need to be able to help people as well rather than sit like a dumb rock just to protect her territorial feelings.  We agreed to disagree and I said we will see what the bosses said.

Later one of the bosses came by when I was alone and I told him of the conversation and he said that the other boss will deal with her today and get it all sorted out.  I told him I felt that she hasn't wanted me here since day 1.  I also found out that when I was hired, she told other people that there were certainly other people more qualified than me and that she felt that they should have opened it up to other people already at the school than rather hire me from the outside.  So I'm wondering if she would have liked the job or something.  I don't know what to make of it.

So, after getting the silent treatment for most of the morning, I'm now just getting one word answers to direct questions.  She's clearly very upset and I just continue to be friendly and act like everything is ok.  What else can I do?  If you wouldn't mind praying again, just pray that whatever she is told in the meeting she is able to accept with grace and that we can move on from here.  

I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Mylinda said...

Ahhh, workplace politics. Don't you just love it?? lol Didn't you miss it all those years at home?? Ha! Don't worry, it'll get worked out. Praying God's grace will shine through you. :-) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Lori, you sure sound as though you handled it as well as you could. She is the one with the problem and fortunately it appears as though her boss sees it as well. Continued prayers for you!

Anonymous said...

I hope this chick gets fired for your sake. It sounds like they like you better than her. Everyone will be better off if she is fired.

Stacey said...

wow, she has issues! hang in there!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail