Sunday, August 31, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


First off, let me state that my prayers are with those along the Gulf Coast who are facing an incredibly powerful storm. Please join me in praying for safety, protection and that God will lessen the impact of the storm.

This week, we begin to feel the effects of living in a Muslim country in a way we yet haven't - Ramadan. This month long holy period is a time during which Muslims are called to spend the month trying to get closer to God by means which include the following: fasting from sunrise to sunset, giving extra to charity, and refraining from certain activities. In a country such as Qatar, one that is governed by Islamic law, that means that everyone is expected to abide by these rules, and if you don't, you'd better do it in the privacy of your own home.

That means that no restaurants are open from sunrise to sunset. You may not even drink a sip of water in public. Grocery stores are open, but at unusual time (early in the morning and then closed until after sunset). Basically, nothing is open until after sunset as all are expected to be fasting and spending time in contemplation. We are expected to dress even more modestly than normal.

On the upside, Hubby gets reduced working hours (7:30 - 1:30, as opposed to 6:30 - 4:00), as well as a three day holiday at the end of the Ramadan month. That should be really nice for us, although there won't be anywhere to go during that extra time off!!

All this is to say that the next month I'll have to be super-organized. I'll be needing to feed Hubby lunch with the rest of us (I don't think chicken nuggets are going to cut it!), and manage to do it with a crazy shopping schedule, due to the wierd times things will be open.

Here's my plan for this week:

Monday - Roast Sticky Chicken, Twice Baked Potatoes, Garlic Roasted Green Beans

Tuesday - Lentils and Rice with a lemon dressed salad

Wednesday - Chicken fajitas

Thursday - Pineapple Glazed Meatloaf, noodles in sour cream sauce, broccoli salad

Friday - Mezze (hummous, tabbouleh, kubbeh, pita bread, cheeses, olives, pickles)

Saturday - Baja Beef & Beans and Tex-Mex Rice

Sunday - Chicken Parmesan, garlic bread and caesar salad

That's what we'll be having around here this week. I may actually mix things up and make our main meal be in the afternoon since Hubby will be home so early and then just have either leftovers or sandwiches in the evening. That way, I will have all the cooking out of the way so we can enjoy our time with him while he's home. And, of course, there may be a quite big "to-do" list for him to work on!

Hope you all have a great week! For more great menu ideas, be sure to visit Laura at The Organizing Junkie!

6 comments:

Leeann said...

Lori,

Your menu sounds great! Could you please let me know how the meat loaf is? I am intrigued by the idea and will be awaiting your review.

I was fascinated by your descriptions of your country at Ramadan. I passed by a Muslim church on Friday and there were lots of cars and people arriving there but I didn't make the connection. How will you change the way you dress? And will you also follow the rules in public of not eating/drinking etc during those hours? I like the idea of eating a big meal during the lunch hours. If Rob came home midday, that is what we would do.

Leeann
niccofive,blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Being in a Muslim country during Ramadan was a highlight for me. I liked the meal we planned for when the sunset and the late night shopping and activities. As a Christian, they did not expect me to participate in the fast, but I tried to be respectful and eat a small meal in private. It was really a special time to appreciate and observe.

Anonymous said...

You've got a great menu! I admire your strength at balancing two beautiful cultures. Have a fabulous week!

Allie
Learningtobefrugal.com

Nancy M. said...

Wow! I really enjoy reading the differences in our countries. That seems so strange for everything to be closed during the day.

I have an award for you on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Your menu looks good and the meatloaf sounds yummy.

I cannot imagine the changes in culture that you are experiencing. It should be interestsing. I'll be interested in checking back to see your thoughts as you go through the month.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Delicious sounding menu this week! I have lived in other countries, but haven't experienced what you are going through.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail