Thursday, January 29, 2009

Driving in Doha

Ok, so I know I may have complained about the driving here in Doha. I've seen things that have made me laugh and have shocked me into silence. Well, someone actually made a little video of what a typical intersection in Doha is like. Take a look.




Now do you see what I mean?!?! And I would have to disagree with the filmaker that this is the "worst intersection in Doha." They are all pretty much the same.

I'm convinced that God sent me to live in Doha in response to my decades-long prayer to give me more patience. There is no place I've ever been that has caused me to exercise patience more than here!

Edited to add: I just noticed after watching it again something very normal. At about 55 seconds in watch for the white van in the lower left corner. He makes at 78 point turn (or so) and then ends up going exactly where he was in the first place!!

10 comments:

tammi said...

You know what I find interesting about cities like this where traffic lights are either non-existant or just for show? There seem to be fewer accidents.

Leeann said...

Is that a stop sign at the corner and they are just driving through it or what? Actually, that didn't look too unlike the roundabouts in the DC area. They are insanity.

Anonymous said...

What in the world are pedestrians doing walking around in the middle of that????

Katie said...

That intersection looks just like the one a block from our place! Notice the stopsign in the right lower corner- the one everyone is completely ignoring. The only thing that makes me think it's not ours is that we usually don't have that much traffic. Thank God! We already take our lives in our hands when we go through it.

Claire said...

And I thought So Cal's traffic was bad. Yeah, when I saw that van do a 3 point turn, twice, I about spit out my coffee! And then the pedestrians!!!! Brave souls.

Karen said...

The thing is, they all seem to know what they are doing...I wouldn't mind having that confidence.

enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I think you better stay home and NEVER go out in traffic! How in the world do people live like that?!

Nancy M. said...

That was scary! I don't think I would ever drive over there. I have a hard enough time driving in our big cities.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty bad. I can't imagine being a pedestrian and crossing the street without making a mad run for it! I would not want to drive in that either!

Katie said...

Identified! Ok, I saw this on an other website and it was identified... Turns out I go through this intersection every day! It's between my place and Brett's work. It's the extension of Al Saad street driving towards Bin Mahmoud. When my sis was visiting we went through it and she said "you aren't going to stop at the stop sign?" It wasn't until the next time we went through that I realized that there was a stop sign there! If you stop at that sign you will get rear ended... and yes, it's as bad as it looks in the video.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail