Monday, September 17, 2007

This is one of those days

You know, one of those days when...

I hate homeschooling.

I feel like I'm talking to two brick walls, neither of whom are interested in listening to anything I have to say.

I just feel like leaving the house and driving aimlessly around for hours.

Does anyone else have these feelings?

Why is it so hard for a 5th grader to understand indenting paragraphs? Or spacing words so that they don't all run together into one big huge word that really looks like a paragraph?

Why is it so hard for a 7th grader to remember breaking numbers down into factors, something she's been doing for over a year? Or to even have her times table memorized, for goodness' sake!?

I feel like an utter failure as a mom/teacher on days like this. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere - not getting through. I just get to the point where it absolutely exhausts me to continue to try to get them to listen/understand/apply all that I'm talking about.
I'm not saying that I want to stop homeschooling. In truth, I love homeschooling my kids. Most days are wonderful. But every so often a day comes along that just beats me down. That makes me feel incompetent, inept, in-oh, whatever else begins with "in" that means I'm failing.
I know that in the end, my kids will be fine. I know that I freak out a few times every year, only to have my kids do wonderfully on their testing. But still - today I'd like to just go back to bed and pull the covers over my head.

6 comments:

tammi said...

Man, I have those days and I'm not even trying to teach my kids anything! (Well, not specifically anyway!!) Sounds like you're due for some 'mommy time!'

Tracy said...

Oh girl I have times like this as well during the school year. Maybe that's why I started running..heehee :) When I am having a day like this I just stop and pack all the books up and start anew the next day. I have found it's just not worth fighting with my kids that day. Good thing it doesn't happen to often huh! I'll pray things look up tomorrow for you.

Anonymous said...

You only freak out a few times a year?
What's your secret? ;)

Brandybuzz said...

Thank you for being so honest about homeschooling. I have a 3 year old and I am considering homeschool. I have those kind of days already at 3 years old. It is very encouraging to see that it is not just me feeling this way. That mom who are homeschooling do have rough spots. I will pray that God will smooth those out.

Leeann said...

Hugs, Hon.
We all have days like that, homeschooling or not, and they suck. The good news is, they pass and things look sunny again.

Leeann
(who also fails to indent and can't factor for nuthin'!)

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

I'm so glad you didn't all say, "Hey, I'm calling Child Protective Services on you, lady!" Thanks for listening to me vent and understanding.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail