Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 1 is Over

So the movers were here today, the first of three days they have scheduled for our move. It was actually pretty anti-climatic. I had thought the kids and I, well, especially the kids, would be emotional seeing all of our things being boxed up. But actually I don't think any of us had much of an emotional reaction. I can't really speak to why the kids didn't, but personally, I think I'm just so relieved that this part is almost over I could sing for joy.

It has totally consumed me for the last couple of weeks. It would have been much, MUCH easier if everything was going and we were getting on a plane to meet Hubby. But trying to sort out not only what should go to Qatar but also what we would need to survive for the next 6-8 weeks...well, it has been stressful. I've had to basically divide the house into sections and push furniture and every other little thing from place to place.

But the important thing is that we are 1/3 of the way done. Tomorrow they will continue packing up smaller items in boxes and wrapping up the larger pieces of furniture. Then the container arrives on Wednesday to be loaded up.

After that I can begin to focus on regular life stuff again. First on the agenda, dealing with the mess at the rental house. Of course, the tenant left half of her belongings there and left it pretty dirty. It pretty much needs completely repainted, there is a tile in a bedroom that has a huge hole in it, the furniture needs to be removed. Of course, the power has been disconnected - not because she had it turned off since she moved. No, she ran up a huge bill and didn't pay it before taking off. At least she seems to have finally understood that she won't be getting back her deposit.

Then I need to work on the taxes. :::sigh::: I have nothing to say about this one except - ugh.

Then there are a million little things to do - take our dog to the vet to get her ready to move, place ads in the local papers advertising the houses for sale (I refuse to rent - they can sit there empty forever before I rent again!), list tons of books on eBay, go to the jeweler to get my rings re-dipped (I have developed an allergy to white gold and dipping them in platinum allows me to wear them), fix things around the house that I've been neglecting, just lots and lots of little stuff.

Well, at least I won't have much cleaning to do. There's not going to be anything left to clean!! LOL!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, you're selling your books? How sad. The sane, rational part of me realizes that you can't/shouldn't move them across the world, but my heart breaks for you. Books!

tammi said...

Haha, thank goodness for that!! You've worked so hard already and you obviously have much to do yet in the next little while -- I sure hope you're taking a little bit of time here and there to relax and put your feet up.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail