Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

As I mentioned, I'm working on being more disciplined and less prone to obey my selfish old self. To that end, I spent the day yesterday working on bills and paperwork, something I've just been avoiding since I left Miami.

This was at the request of Hubby (the working on it, not the avoiding it). We attended a seminar at church Tuesday night about the five love languages. His, of course, is acts of service. I've known this for ages, and truthfully, I think it sucks. Acts of service, for those of you who aren't up on your love languages, basically means, "I feel loved when you do things for me like wash my clothes, do the dishes, iron my shirts, mop the floors, pick up my dirty socks." So basically Hubby would enjoy being married to a cleaning lady. Sigh...

Nevertheless, I recognize that this is how I show my love and appreciation for him so as we left the seminar, I asked him what specific thing I could do to show love for him. So my day yesterday was spent sorting bills I had collected while wewere separated, calling companies to find out what our account status was, checking our bank account and scheduling payments, etc.

That man better feel the love.

Today, as he also appreciates a beautiful clean home, I intended to clean and "pretty-fy" the house from top to bottom. I woke up at 6:30, had breakfast, checked and my email and started a load of laundry. Still in my cute little pj's, I started up the stairs only to hear the doorbell. Workmen were here to work on the water pump on the roof. With no appointment. At 7 am.

They have now turned off my water as well as my electricity. Basically I can do nothing.

Well, except try to move a big table that was left here by the previous tenant that is actually owned by Hubby's company. And while moving it, breaking off ALL four legs. Snapping them right off, yes sirree Bob. It was a nice mahogany table. I'm sure someone will now enjoy it as firewood. Does mahogany burn well?

So, I'm hanging out at home right now totally hamstrung. I can't go anywhere because there are people here. I can't do any of my household chores - laundry, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, etc. without water and/or power.

Hubby's love language will just have to go unspoken today.

3 comments:

Karen said...

perhaps you can convince him that you climbed on the roof and fixed the water pump. Hmmmm....I know how frustrating that can be. I am taking a vacation day so I can wait for roofers to come and give me estimates. All day. Joy. I'd rather be napping.

Annie said...

Ahh the plans of in a man's heart! Tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor :)

Anonymous said...

just hand him a big ole' bowl of nutella when he walks in the door and he'll never notice what didn't get done, right? ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail