Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Sad and Heavy Heart

I'm sitting here at my computer at 1:30 in the morning. I can't sleep. I'm just too sad.

I just got word that the husband of one of my dearest friends died as a result of a plane crash in Honduras today.

They were an amazing couple - funny, hospitable, loving. Now she must go on alone.

Yes, she'll have the comfort of friends and family, as well as her God, whom she serves wholeheartedly. But she will miss Harry. She'll miss his presence, his companionship, his love.

Sadly, in the last week, I've heard of two other women I know and love whose husbands passed away this month, one to cancer and one to heart failure. I pray for all three of them that God will comfort them and wrap His loving arms around them during these dark days.

But it puts a sad post script on the series I've been doing here about respecting your husband.

None of us knows how much time we have left with our husband. It could be decades or it could be minutes. Don't let yourself fall into the mistake of merely "planning" on changing your attitude towards him if it needs done. Don't spend one more minute wasted on anger and regret and resentment.

Your husband is a precious gift from God. I know that there are times when we don't feel that way, but it's true even in those moments. Honor him and love him while you have the chance.

Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are; help us to spend them as we should” (Psalm 90:12, TLB).

10 comments:

Annie said...

I sit here, with tear filled eyes, as I read your post. I nearly lost my husband two years ago to a terrible illness. Hold on tight to your man and your faith. Because you may very well lose one, but you should NEVER lose the other.

TJ said...

I will pray for all these families! I heard about the crash in Honduras, and immediately was sick! My congregation sponsors a mission in Honduras called Little Hands Big Hearts. We have members flying down there on a regular basis. I hope the Lord gives you some peace tonight and that you are able to sleep.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry.

I'll pray for your friends. I just can't imagine.

I think hubs is in the clear. Like I said, I KNOW it was a God-given miracle. Legally the DA can call the Grand Jury from now until June 8, and try to get an indictment again. Nobody knows if he will, though.

Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement. Reminding me of Joseph really helped me.

Jess said...

thanks, lori.


love
jess

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I am so very sorry. I know the grief is deep and fresh, but I found after our friend David died of brain cancer when we were all 33 that it was healing to celebrate him. On his birthday, I took my children to the science museum (he was a dedicated husband and dad and taught science), danced wildly to fun music (David loved music), and we made made some form of baked concoction and decorated it as only small children can do. It took the focus off the loss and put it on his life. I used to write our day's exploits down in great detail and send them to his wife so she would know what we did to celebrate her wonderful husband. It was healing for us all.

I don't know if you can do that yet, but when you are able, it is something to consider.

My prayers are with you and your friend.

Karen said...

You are absolutely right. Our husbands are treasures and today is the day to be thankful for all we have.

I am praying for Marilyn and will add the other two to my list.

blessings to you,
karen

Anonymous said...

HI Lori,

I wish I would have posted before these sad circumstances. Thanks for the convicting word. We are all going to go, at best he got to go doing something unto the Lord. I hope the same for all of us that know Christ, that we would go in the midst of serving Him always. May this mission trip he was on bear the fruit of redemption and salvation of many.

Leigh

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your friends. I hope you don't mind my offering a suggestion. Write down the dates of their anniversaries and be sure to send a card to the wives at that time. It will mean so much to them. I have done things like this for years -- remembering the first anniversary or the spouse's birthday by sending a note or a card. It's such a little thing to do, but it's impact is huge.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a great book that goes right along with this topic. It is called 7 THINGS HE'LL NEVER TELL YOU -- BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW.

It is VERY insightful into the mind of a man. Helps you understand the differences and why it is so important to show him respect.

Lylah Ledner said...

hi there...came over by way of laura (org. junkie) - what caught my eye was the arabic food :-) love it...

so glad i stopped by....and perusing your topics...this resect one grabbed me too. seems as if you and i are singing off the same song sheet. you go girl!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail