Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I Wonder How You Say, "My House Is Burning Down" in Arabic?

You never know how that might come in handy.


Here's what happened the first time we used it.







Apparently, Hubby plugged both the dishwasher and the microwave into the plug seen above through an extension cord. Which would seem to be a no-no over here.

We could smell something burning, but couldn't identify the source. We stupidly left the house, just assuming that it was fumes that burn off the first time you use an appliance. That was my thought anyway.

The next day, I ran it again and it smelled even stronger. So I decided to unplug it from the wall until I could figure it out.

It had melted into the outlet. I couldn't unplug it no matter how hard I tried.

Forgetting all that my mother had taught me as a child, I grabbed a butter knife and proceeded to try to wedge it between the plug and the wall to separate the two. Then, sanity returned and I switched off the power to the plug before I, you know, DIED.

Fortunately, it was just the extension cord and one plug that was damaged, the dishwasher was fine. Can I get a hallelujah, sisters?

Just thought I'd share another fun day in the desert.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Besides "my house is burning down" you might want to learn, "I just got a major electrical shock" as well! No more sticking knives in places they don't belong, or I might just have to come over there and take them all away from you! Seriously, though, I am glad you are okay! I am enjoying your "Life in Doha" series...very, very interesting!

p.s. None of the kids saw you use the knife, did they?

Tracye said...

Oh Dear Lord!

To finally get the long-awaited, much-anticipated dishwasher, and THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS???

Ugh. I feel for you.

But, I agree with Melissa. No more knives near the electrical thingies.

stacey said...

Excuse the multiple post commenting here-conserving time!

Yikes on the electrical stuff!

I love reading about the country and the quirks!! That is the stuff that I think is cool to learn!

So terribly sorry about your friend losing her husband!

Mylinda said...

Ok, as the daughter of an electrician, imagine my gasp of horror as I read about the knife!! Thank goodness sanity returned in time!! lol

I tried to post a comment yesterday, but for some reason it wouldn't post. Oh well. I was commenting on the interesting quirks of Doha. What an adventure you're having that the kids will remember long after you return "home". :-)

ValleyGirl said...

Glad to hear your sanity returned BEFORE you electrocuted yourself!! And that the damage was minimal. Whew!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Search

Loading...
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail