Friday, November 2, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Friday - Cookie Edition!


Today's edition of Favorite Ingredient Friday over at Overwhelmed With Joy focuses on cookies. Now, surely the intention of this was to share about Christmas cookies, what with it now officially being the holiday season. It is official, right? I think it has been since, oh, say September 5 when the stores started putting out their Christmas stuff!! But that's another discussion.

Anyhoo, when I read that this week we were supposed to share a cookie recipe, I knew which one it would be for me. And it's not Christmas-y. But it is a treasured family recipe, created by my Great Aunt Nonie. Nonie is short for Leona and was this woman a pip!! Aunt Nonie had narcolepsy, so she could literally fall asleep at the drop of a hat. While driving, while babysitting, while bathing, any time. She was a very strong willed woman, who didn't do much in the domestic arena, but somehow she struck gold with this recipe. It was always an exciting day for all the grandkids when Aunt Nonie made her Orange Cookies.

Aunt Nonie's Orange Cookies
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • Rind of one orange
  • 1/2 cup milk, with 1/2 tsp. vinegar added to it
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • Frosting Ingredients as listed below

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well and drop by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should still be pale in color.

Citrus Frosting

  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • Grapefruit juice

Cream together the powdered sugar and butter. Beat in grapefruit juice until it's a nice consistency for frosting - sorry, this is subjective. Aunt Nonie didn't ever measure, but I can tell you that it was thinner than most frostings, but not too thin.

I hope you enjoy the cookies should you try to make them. We always did!!

6 comments:

tammi said...

Oooo, those sound delicious! I think I'll print out the recipe and add it to my growing list of recipes for holiday cookies -- I don't often bake, but I usually try to make a couple of favourites and try a couple of new recipes each Christmas. Mmmm, yum! Christmas cookies..... (if I could draw drool, there'd be some right here!)

Aisling said...

They sound yummy

Ice Cream said...

Mmm, I think these would be heavenly if the bottoms were dipped in chocolate. I love orange and chocolate together.

By the grace of God ... said...

These sound yummy -- I am going to have to make these for my kids!
Thanks for sharing!

Kim Davis said...

Those sound soooo good - can't wait to try them!

Overwhelmed! said...

My mouth is watering just thinking about these cookies. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Cookie Edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail