Sunday, November 11, 2007

How to Make a Billion Dollars

I have an idea. If only I could make it work I'd be a rich, rich woman. What is this grand plan, you ask?

If I could find a way to bottle discipline, I'd be set for life.

If only.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that
this is an issue I struggle with. Oh, I'm great with making all the plans. My family takes great joy in mocking my list-making tendencies. It seems to be following the plans that gives me the trouble.

Imagine that.

Yes, I can make all the lists I like. I can plan to be an organized homemaker, a devoted exerciser, a healthy eater, a more structured homeschooler, etc. But I actually have to WORK to make it happen.
And therein lies the problem.


I was thinking about this today and a thought occurred to me. There have been times when I have counseled friends with regards to their marriages that even if they don't feel loving towards their husbands, that they should ACT loving towards them. That often feelings follow actions. That if we "fake it" for awhile, eventually it becomes real.



Maybe that's what I need to do. I need to "fake" being a disciplined woman of God. I just need to buckle down and do the thing I know I need to do. Because let me tell you, I'm a pretty selfish creature at heart. I want things my way. I don't want to go to bed early and get up early. I want to be able to enjoy all the food I want. I want to spend all the time I like browsing through all the blogs I enjoy, regardless of the condition of my house. I want my kids to just do their schoolwork without bothering me so I can do what I want to do without interruption.



"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men."
Phillipians 2: 3-7 (ESV)

When I opt to satisfy my selfishness, I am sinning. I am depriving myself of the opportunity to develop discipline. You know that old saying, "Give me patience, Lord, and I want it now!"? That's what it's like - I want discipline, but I don't want to put any of the necessary work into it. It doesn't work that way.

So what if I don't feel like it. There's another old saying that applies here.

Fake it 'till you make it.

(Unless someone comes up with that bottled version.)

4 comments:

tammi said...

I think I've found a kindred spirit!! You and I are obviously painfully alike in this area. I absolutely LOVE making lists, but sticking to them? Yeah, not so much! I wrote a post about self-discipline and how to develop it a while back; maybe I'll have to revisit that. It's a little scary when we realize exactly HOW selfish we are.

Leeann said...

You and me both, Babe.
I am way better at demanding discipline of my kids than showing it in my own life.

Leeann

Stacey said...

know what i think...i love coming here all the time and seeing you lay it all out there. way braver than me! granted you probably keep a few secrets from us, but for what you do share, thanks! makes me know i am not alone!

Ice Cream said...

Oh, my, goodness, you sound just like me. I am faking it myself right now and it is working really well. Ocassionally I can't fake anymore and am just me but if I don't stay that way too long things don't get too bad =)

Lately I've been faking that I enjoy teaching my kids to work around the house. I've been faking that I love to have dinner on the table in time for my husband, and have a clean kitchen too. I've been faking that I love staying up later to read with my boys. I'm hoping that the longer I fake the less I will be faking.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail