Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's Official!



Ok, it's a done deal. We are officially going to be moving to Doha, Qatar. Here's a lovely picture of the Doha skyline.

Hubby sent his letter of acceptance last night, so now we are just waiting to hear when they want him to actually be there. We are thinking it will be sometime in December, but aren't sure exactly when.

It's kind of throwing a kink in things. If he's here for Christmas, we of course want to be with him. But if not, then the kids and I will be travelling to visit my family over Christmas. But we wouldn't want to leave until he's already left so we don't know what to do. We'll just have to wait (again!) until we get a definite time frame from them.

So I have begun the process of weeding through our belongings. The other day I cleaned out a linen closet and got it to bare minimum. Right now, half of the contents of my under sink cabinet are scattered on the floor. I have 6, count 'em SIX, cans of bug spray. Think I've got a problem with bugs? Well, it is Miami, after all.

I know these are such minor little areas to be focusing on - a closet, a cabinet. But it's helping me have a little control, knowing that these things are done. There is so much more to do that it's overwhelming. I kind of feel paralyzed by it. So I compensate by doing small things that I can do in half an hour. The bigger things kind of make it too...real.

There have been lots of tears - mostly from the female side of the family. Emily is really struggling at the thought of leaving. All I can do is hold her and tell her that I know it's hard but that we'll do everything we can to make it easier for her. Daniel is stressing about it, but excited that he'll be getting a new game system - the one we have won't work there. Boys are so much simpler, don't you think? LOL! Hubby, ever practical, refuses to be swayed by any thoughts of looking back. It is a good decision for our family, so why cry about it.

I can't be so stoic.

I find myself at times in tears thinking of all the good friends we are leaving here in Miami. It bothers me that I will have to figure out a new grocery store, when the one I go to I know like the back of my hand. The employees there know my kids so well and always ask about them, about their schooling, etc. I'm nervous about learning to drive in a place where the only rule is that there are no rules. The thought of trying to find a new church is very distressing to me. Of course, there are only 3 to choose from, so that's not really going to be so difficult! But what if we don't fit at any of them?

There are a million little details that. Lots of "what if's." But the overwhelming thing holding me together is that I know that above it all is God. He is always with me. And not just in a "yeah, that's a nice sentiment" kind of way. I've been here before, people. The times when I have moved to a new place - far away from every other support system - are the times that I've grown deeply in the Lord. It's utter dependence on God.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make
straight your paths." Proverbs 3:5, 6

8 comments:

Stacey said...

lori-you probably already know this gal, but be sure to contact
http://myquotidianmysteries.blogspot.com/2007/11/sorry-for-silence.html

since they live there as well. sounds like you will need a friend!! :0)

will be praying for you!!

tammi said...

Wow. I can't even imagine the emotional extremes you must be feeling! It's obviously exciting, but downright scary at the same time. So you're sticking around until after Christmas, even if hubby has to go sooner? How does Qatar compare to the UAE?

Well, you will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for this momentus move. In all aspects of this decision and the surrounding issues, you know God is right there beside you.

Charity said...

What an adventure you have in store for you. May God go with you and bless you and keep you!

Leeann said...

You know I will be thinking about you and praying for all of you through this time of great change in your life.

Just remember, it is a GIFT.

Leeann

Amy said...

God is with you all the way through this adventure and He always shows up. Keep ukp the cleaning and decluttering in baby steps you do 2 spots a day at 30 minutes each you will have it all done in know time. Have the kids do there closets, underbeds, and other parts of there rooms in 30 minutes chunk too. God knows of all your concern too and He will help you drive, find a grocery store, and answer and meet all your needs. God always shows up but not always on our time schedule.
YOu will be missed. I will keep you in my prayers.
Amy

This Journey of Mine said...

That is amazing. I am excited for you. A new adventure is waiting...

Ice Cream said...

One of the great things about blogging is that you won't have to leave any of us behind =).

You are very brave and you deserve a few tears.

Laura said...

Wow - I've been totally neglecting my bloggie friends, because I should have seen this long ago. I'm SO excited that you are coming!! You already have a friend in Doha! :) And as for tears and fear, I'm with you all the way. I still have a few of them, and I've lived in Doha now for over four months. You're in good company. Can't wait to meet you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail