Saturday, August 18, 2007

Smart Habit Saturday



Good morning, everyone!! Welcome back to Smart Habit Saturday, hosted by Lara at The Lazy Organizer. Last week, the habits I wanted to work on were getting back into the habit of exercising for 30 minutes a day and to have some devotional time before going online in the mornings. I'm happy to report that I'm doing better on both fronts. Not perfect, but better. I picked up a copy of Nancy Leigh DeMoss's book, "A Place of Quiet Rest" and I highly recommend it! It has really been challenging me about my ideas on "quiet time" and encouraging me to spend more time just sitting before my Savior.

The first chapter was all about how we women give and give (until it hurts) and end up drained and exhausted. By pointing out how even Christ, who was fully God as well as fully man, needed to be refreshed each and every day by spending time alone with the Father, Miss DeMoss has made me realize that I'm not a failure for feeling frustrated, overwhelmed and out-of-sync. What I am instead is lacking in time with my Father. That is the solution. I cannot give constantly without being constantly renewed.

My goal for this week is to have fun with my mom while she's here. That should be easy!!

Have a great day!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great reminder. We do often put ourselves last and I can see it show through on my habits. The house is clean but my teeth are not? Problem. Thanks for the reminder of the need to be refilled, refreshed & renewed! Have a great week with your mom.

Rebecca said...

By the way, to get the new banner you just right click it, save to your computer & then upload it as a picture into your post. Then you can hyperlink it back to her site if you want. That's how I do it anyway, I don't think there is html code for it.

Delete said...

Hi Lori-

I have been reading a bit about quiet time too. The one that I have been reading is called Just Give Me a Little Piece of Quiet. It made the same point saying that even Jesus had to take breaks to be able to serve. For some reason I just feel like that is so selfish. Perhaps it is a backlash against the too much about me type thinking that has been going arouns in our society. Somewhere in there is a middle ground.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

I think I will check at the library for the book you mentioned, Lori, or even the one Jenny mentioned. I have a hard time allowing myself that moment of peace and rest. I always feel like I should be doing something. I need work in that area, too.

Anonymous said...

I also try to have some devotional time before I get online... It puts everyone elses words into perspective if you read God's word first. Good luck!

Brandybuzz said...

This is my same goal and habit I am working on! I just got a study called "Father I long for a heart that dances" by Catherine Martin
I highly recommend it! It's a study that brings you into intimacy with God. I have really enjoyed it. It has a lot of meat to it. Lots of scripture study and journaling. I will pray for you and your "Smart Habit"!

tammi said...

Thank you so much for the gentle reminder. My devotions/quiet times always seem to be more meaningful when I've got a good book to read as a supplement. And it's amazing how spending MORE time with God can help me accomplish more during the day. You'd think it would be easier to make that a habit...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail