Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday - Peace

Ok, this isn't really a traditional "tip" or anything. It's more like a revelation that I've had about something that has made a huge difference in the peacefulness of my spirit. Since making this one small change in my life, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of angst and stress I feel.

What is this miracle cure, you ask? Well, my friend, it's simple. You see, it all started a couple of months ago when our family (well, let's be honest here, it was hubby and I - the kids were kicking and screaming all the way) decided to turn off the tv for about 6 weeks. We went all out, having the satellite service disconnected so we wouldn't be tempted. Since we turned it back on, one thing that we haven't added back into our viewing time is local news. And I don't miss it at all.

Local news is generally filled with "If it bleeds, it leads" type stories - murders, rapes, robberies, accidents, etc. Not the kind of thing I want to have filtering into my mind. And the non-sensationalistic stories they offer are, for the most part, useless. If I need information on the weather, I can check that out online. For national and world news, there are other stations that offer that. These alternate resources don't make me fearful and worried about living in my town. They don't pretend that all is right with the world, but they focus on the big picture. Heck, I know that there's crime out there - I don't need to hear all the gory details!

So, that's my tip for the day. If you watch local news on a regular basis, try going without for a week and see what a difference it makes. For more great ideas, head on over to Rocks In My Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday ideas!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stomach this either. I lived in Chicago for too many years and it was just awful. Now that we moved I think the news here is a little more upbeat, but I just check headlines online now and spare myself all the yuck.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Excellent!
No t.v. here either!
Peace!

Peace to you and yours...
All's grace,
Ann

TracyMichele said...

HERE, HERE! I come from Maine and the big news stories generally were about a guy and his cow. LOL. I had shell shock when I moved to the Nashville area. WOW. I am willing to admit to the world, I have not watched the news in over 3 years and I am happier for it!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely true...
I haven't watched news or read a paper for a while. I can still get the news that I need without being consumed by it...

Bobi Jensen said...

I used to have anxiety problems and I read that it helps to stop watching the news, and I haven't for over 5 years, and it's made a huge difference. Now our family has NO TV and that is even better. I can't believe how much reading I'm getting done!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Great tip! I prefer to read the newspaper for my news because it is typically free of the fear and sensationalism that is prevalent in TV news.

We recently ordered cable, which we've pretty much been without for 8 years. At times, I wonder why we bothered upgrading. The TV is on a lot more now, and that's really not a good thing. I really prefer a quiet house.

Unknown said...

It depends..

We often switch to the local news, because they don't bring the sensation and the toodoo around subjects.
They don't struggle to get more public.

Gift of Green said...

I totally agree. It can go for the radio too. I have to take a break from NPR - it just gets to be too much, sad to say.

Sharon said...

This tip I love! I'm a bit of a news junkie, but I don't do local news either. I'm in San Francisco, and found out about part of the approach to the Bay Bridge collapsing after an accident when it hit national news! If it's important it will hit national news (I knew about the bridge within a couple of hours). Otherwise, as you said, we all know there is crime out there.

Now, turning off the TV for 6 weeks. I might have to try that tip too! :)

Charity said...

I don't watch the national news because they tend to sensationalize everything and cover "news" that really shouldn't even be news. I will watch the local news, but we don't have high crime here in the Texas Panhandle. The biggest news stories are sports and weather.

Thanks for the compliment on my utility closet. DH thought I was crazy for painting it green, but I love it.

Anonymous said...

I hate watching the news too. I've even noticed a huge difference when I cut out some of the more mind numbing prime time shows that make violence seem ordinary.

Leeann said...

I agree and I do the same thing. Get my weather online, get USA Today delivered so I can check out the general leading stories and I'm done. Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

SAHMmy Says said...

That's great that you were able to commit to a 6 week TV fast! That would never fly in our home--it's baseball season! Then it's football season...you get the point! We don't watch the news either, though--it's become as graphic as CSI and scares my 3 year old--and me!

penguinsandladybugs said...

We cancelled our cable for a year back in 1999-2000 and I loved it! We turned it back on and it is a pain..I agree about the news....I don't intentionally watch it....although if it is on, I tend to get sucked in once in a while!!

tammi said...

Wow, 6 weeks with no TV! Good for you!! I never watch news either -- for exactly the same reason -- but generally scan through Google's news site so that I can at least pick and choose the things I want to learn more about. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not really being very responsible if I don't want to know what's going on in the world, but it's true, the only things that generally make the news are the BAD, UGLY, SAD, GROSS, and DEPRAVED things that happen, so avoiding that is probably a good thing.

mira said...

I too have turned off local news and unsubscribed to all but my small town newspaper. I don't need to be overwhelmed by all the negative news out there. Good post.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail