Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Southern Sides

So my mom is coming this afternoon. We'll have a fun week together, I know. My mom is one of those people who have no inhibitions whatsoever. Once, she threw a package of meat at me in the store just to see the embarrassment on my face. Another time, in a movie theater, where thankfully it was just us and my kids, she honestly laid down and rolled down the aisle just to make the kids laugh. She even went so far as to intentionally knock down a basketball display at K-Mart, while I ran frantically around trying to pick them up. There are other stories, trust me many more, but I don't want her to sue me for defamation of character. Though they would all be true. If you ever meet her, ask her why she was sitting on the floor at Target. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Plus my brother, who lives about an hour from me, called the other day to say he's moving to New Jersey. Tomorrow. So he'll be coming down to see the family and say his goodbyes this evening.

And now, on to the promised recipes: Savannah Red Rice and Cheese Biscuits, from Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah. And if you start talking with a Southern drawl, don't blame me. These recipes are that good.

Savannah Red Rice
Serves 4-6

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced Hillshire Farms sausage
One 14 1/2 oz. can crushed tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon Texas Pete or other red hot sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
Pepper to taste; salt to taste if desired
1 cup uncooked white rice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and bell pepper in butter. Add sausage; heat until mixture is slightly browned. Add tomatoes, hot sauce, tomato sauce, water and bouillon cubes. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in rice. Pour mixture into greased casserole and bake for 45 minutes.

Cheese Biscuits
Yields 8 large biscuits

2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup Crisco shortening
3/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, and sugar together using fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Stir in buttermilk all at one time just until blended. Do not overstir. Drop by tablespoons (Paula recommends using an ice cream scoop to give biscuits a nice shape) onto a well-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Both these items are on the menu at Paula's restaurant and the Cheese Biscuits have become one of the signature items. They are even served to those waiting in line. And trust me, there is a line!! I've seen it for myself!

3 comments:

This Journey of Mine said...

Those cheese biscuits look yummy.

Enjoy your mom. I've been secretly missing mine lately!

Leeann said...

So have you actually made the biscuits? I want to try them but wondered if you have done it first.

BTW, I think I love your mom. That sense of humor is exactly like mine. lol

Leeann

Leeann said...

Oh and btw, let me know if you come up to visit your brother in New Jersey. You can stop off here on the way!
Leeann

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail