Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday!

I know you all think that my home is flawless. After all, I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mom, right? And we have nothing to do all day but clean house (when we aren't eating bon-bons on the couch!). Well, I hate to burst your bubble, missy, but my home isn't perfect. I keep it mainly neat, if you don't count the kids' bedrooms, but there's always been a deep dark secret in my home...

Unless you breathe in and then that secret is out and not going anywhere. Unfortunately, for years I have been plagued with "Stinky Garbage Can Syndrome." Yes, SGCS is a serious matter that causes your otherwise lovely home to have an indescribably "off" smell. Hubby doesn't like the small garbage cans that fit under the kitchen sink that you would change very often. Nor does he want us taking out the garbage unless the bag is completely full. He worked hard to earn the $$ for that garbage bag and we'd better darn well get all the use out of it we can! So this left us with tall, stinky garbage cans.

Until now. Yes, I have found the easiest secret for removing the odors. I don't know how it works, but it does. All you have to do is fold up a section from the newspaper and put it in the bottom of the garbage can. Voila! The paper absorbs the odors like magic. I even keep extra bags in the bottom of the can and when I reach in to get a new one, I don't smell anything. It's a miracle, I tell you! Simple, cheap and fast! That works for me!

To see more great ideas to help you live your everyday life, head on over to Rocks-in-My-Dryer for more wonderful tips!

13 comments:

Smockity Frocks said...

Huh! Never heard of this. My stinky problem is my garbage disposal. Yuk!

Cherish the Home said...

Wow! I'm going to give this a try!

Blessings,
~Mrs.B

Kathy in WA said...

How funny that newspaper is so odor absorbent. I always store extra bags at the bottom of the garbage can (means my children will actually put in a fresh bag for me when they take out the trash--ha).

Thanks for the tip on controlling smell.

Duckabush Blog

Susan said...

Boy, I never heard of that! We have been battling the stinky trash so I will try it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I will definitely try that. Thanks for the great tip!

Anonymous said...

I was just complaining about the "aroma" from our can yesterday. I'm definitely going to use this! Thanks!

Michelle said...

That's a great tip! I do keep a dryer sheet in the bottom of my can, but it doesn't really absorb the odors. Newspaper would be so much cheaper, thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope this works. I have been dying to find a solution!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Clever! I hope this works because our dog is always sniffing the garbage!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I am going to try this!
Thanks for the tip.

Linda

penguinsandladybugs said...

Who knew? What an easy to try!! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to try this one!

Unknown said...

Well, I have a little can and put plastic shopping bags in it to collect the waste.

Have a good weekend.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail