Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Yum-a-licious!

I'm so sorry I didn't get to this earlier today. Once I dropped my mom off at the airport, I came home and absolutely crashed, taking a 2 hour nap! Then it was time for dinner and dishes and time with Hubby...well, you know how it goes.

But, as promised, I'm here to offer up two yummy sounding recipes. I know I said in my last post that I would wrap up the Paula Deen series today, but I actually think I'm going to finish up next week. This week I'll do a cake and pie, next week I'll pick something out of the cookies and confections category.

First up we'll look at the Carmel Apple Cake, served at The Lady and Sons, then Praline Pumpkin Pie. I know it's a bit early for that, but with fall coming and all...

Carmel Apple Cake w/Carmel Topping
Serves 15-20

2 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 1/2 cups diced apples, canned or fresh

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together eggs, sugar and oil. Add flour; mix until well blended. Add vanilla, nuts, and diced apples. Spread into a lightly greased and floured 13x9 inch baking pan; bake for 45-60 minutes. Cake is done with toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. When cake is done, punch holes in it with a knife and pour topping over it.

Topping:
3 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
Heat all ingredients over medium heat. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes. Pour over warm cake.

Praline Pumpkin Pie
Serves 6-8

1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
One 9-inch unbaked pie shell
3 whole eggs
2 eggs, separated
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Blend pecans with 1/3 cup brown sugar and softened butter. Press gently with back of spoon into bottom of pie shell. Blend all remain ingredients except egg whites and granulated sugar. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 50 minutes. make a meringue by beating egg whites until stiff, adding the granulated sugar while beating. After pie has baked, remove from oven and cover with meringue. Return to 425-degree oven just to brown meringue.

1 comments:

tammi said...

WOW!!! Those both sound incredible!!!! I printed them off right away and put them in my 'to-try' folder. Yummmmmmm. Hubby, I'm sure, will love the pumpkin one and since we actually grew some this year, that should work out nicely. Thanks for posting! I'm always so much more likely to try something that I KNOW someone else has enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail