Monday, August 20, 2007

This is what happens when you procrastinate

Ok, I've known for weeks that my mom is coming on Tuesday. But here I am, on late Sunday night, thinking of all that I need to do before she arrives. And I could just shoot myself! Why, oh, why do I put everything off until the last minute? Why must I be one of those people who thrive under pressure? Here's a picture of what my day will be like tomorrow.
  • First thing, head down to Wal-Mart before it turns into a zoo. Need to get groceries, return some clothes that I had bought for Daniel and get a new swimsuit for Emily since hers has mysteriously stretched out to say, oh, a size 20. Not sure what happened there.
  • Upon returning home, I need to straighten up the guest room, otherwise known as "the junk room." Ok, I don't really call it that, but that is indeed what it has become. The kids play in there, everything that we don't know what to do with gets put in there, etc. You know what I mean. The linens need changing, there are boxes of toys sticking out from under the bed that need to be moved, the closet needs to be cleaned out a little, the shelves, the floors...oh, just everything! This could take 2 hours.
  • I need to wash my back windows. Now, to get the picture of this you must know that the entire back wall of the house is French doors. With tiny little window panes. So we are talking about cleaning over 100 little window panes. Ugh. But this is one thing that my mom always gets on my case about, and the one thing that my husband asked me to do last week, so I have to get to it.
  • Clean the bathrooms
  • Do the laundry - we had guests this weekend and every towel was used for the pool!
  • Get to the library to pick up materials they are holding for me

That doesn't even count all the other general cleaning (dusting, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the kitchen well, etc.) that you do when you have people coming. I know it's my mom, but I like everything to look nice.

And now, I am off to bed to rest and prepare myself for a day of whirlwind activity tomorrow!

3 comments:

tammi said...

You and I are cut from the same cloth in that respect!! My favourite phrase has always been, "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?!" But yeah, that usually ends up getting me into some hot water. I'm SO not good at pacing myself and just doing what needs doing on a daily basis. My house pretty much only gets cleaned the day before we're expecting guests!! Have a good time with your mom! (I'm spending the week with mine as well -- but at her house, so I don't need to worry about leaving mine messy!!)

Charity said...

Wishing you happy cleaning. Be sure to take plenty of breaks and drink your fluids to keep your energy up.

I had the "feeling" this morning that my husband's parents are going to come visit Labor Day weekend. We have not heard from them but they have been known to call a few days before a weekend and say they want to come visit. I am going to start preparing now in case my "feeling" is correct. The sheets for the guest bed are in the wash as I type this.

Leeann said...

Gosh, that is a lot of work to do in one day. You will be exhausted! Try to work in spurts with planned breaks and plan to have the kids work for/with you. Doing the windows is a great job for the kids to do alone.
I hope you are able to get it all done but it's your mom- no matter what, she'll love you!
Leeann

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Blog Archive

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail